High Intensity Interval (HIIT) Cardio Exercises for Fat Loss and Endurance
Videos Compiled By Eric Astrauskas, Spec. Hons. B.A. (Kinesiology), P.T.S.
Personal Trainer in Toronto
Try some of my favourite fat burning, high intensity cardio interval, H.I.I.T., exercises. These exercises will jack up your heart rate and work almost every muscle in your body while burning a tonne of calories. To maintain muscle mass short intervals are best for cardio. A good start would be to try 30 seconds work time, followed by 1 minute rest. Work as hard and fast as possible. Work up to one minute work time and drop down to 30 second rest time. I recommend using an interval timer
and wearing a heart rate monitor
for this type of training. Some of these exercises are high impact, so if you have injured joints or do not have any exercise background, avoid them. My favourite interval cardio exercises with equipment are kickboxing, batting ropes (various wave techniques) and kettlebells (swings and get-ups). Check out battling ropes exercises here and kettlebell exercises here . If you have access to expensive cardio equipment, I recommend the Concept2 rower or the Assault air bike. Below is my boot camp promo video with some of my favourite HIIT exercises. Below that are a few more favourite cardio exercises you can do without any equipment.
1. Stadium Stairs
2. Mountain Climbers
4. Rowing Intervals - works whole body
5. Suicide Sprints - works whole body.
6. High Knees or Hill Runs - works whole body especially legs and abs.
7. Various Skipping Drills - works calves primarily.
8. Reverse Lunge w/Kick - works glutes, hamstrings, quads, hip flexors, abs.
9. Snowboarders - works glutes, hamstrings, quads, obliques.
10. Squat Twists - works glutes, quads, hamstrings, obliques.